06 February, 2012

The 10 mile run

I don't know if you remember, but way back when, I decided it would be a good idea to run 10 miles of trails.

So I trained. I ran on the treadmill in the gym so I could watch the littlest munchkin. I ran outside on the weekends while the hubby watched the kids. I ran in the cold with numb ears and an icy, runny nose. I ran in the heat, dripping with sweat, because hey, sometimes 75 degrees in January is normal here. I ran through achy knees and achy arches and achy ankles. I ran even when I didn't feel like it, when it seemed far more appealing to spend Saturday afternoon napping. I ran when I really needed to get a break and blow off some stress.

I ran with this song stuck in my head:
"...and I raaaaaaaaan, I ran so far a-waaaaaaaaaaaaayyy... I just raaaaaaan, I ran all night and daaaaaaaaayyy, I could not get a-waaaaaaay....

and this song:

"ain't nothing gonna breaka my stride, nobody gonna sloooow me dowwwn, Oh no, I got to keep on mooooovin...  ain't nothing gonna break my stride, I'm running and I won't touch ground, oh no, I got to keep on mooooov-in'"

Don't I sound fun?
Stop rolling your eyes.
Come on. You know you've done that too. Right?  No?  Well I bet now you will next time you run.
You're welcome.

And if you're too cool or young to know what songs I'm referring to, I'll post some youtube clips down at the end of the post.

So anyway.

It was rainy a few days before race day. Cats and dogs kind of rain. More than enough to turn the course into a puddley, muddy, sloppy mucky messy kind of mud-and-puddle obstacle course kind of trail.

Running that course was so much fun. Jumping over puddles, dodging around puddles, running through puddles, sliding through the mud. I was really glad to have shoes with great drainage. (Thanks, Brooks, for making great shoes!) It was joyful fun.

I am glad I spent all that time training. The distance was not an issue. No achy knees or feet or ankles. I was cheerful enough at mile 7 to ask the water station volunteer how his morning was going while I chugged down some water. Then I bounded down the last 3 miles like they were easier than the first three. It felt like I was lighter than air. It was great.

I am also seriously glad my high school cross country coaches taught me how to run on hills. That is a skill that served me very well in this race, and I'm sure will be incredibly useful for as long as I run. I love running hills because of it. How many people do you know that can say that?

I made my goal of finishing withing 2 hours. I didn't exactly break any records, but I finished strong, and I felt good. And you really can't beat that in a race.

Until next year, trail run.

And as promised, 80's awesomeness videos. One word for you: synthesizer. Enjoy.

A Flock of Seagulls- I Ran (So Far Away)

Matthew Wilder- Break My Stride

1 comment:

  1. 10 miles!? Wow! Good for you! I was so determined to do the "Couch to 5k" program this year, but unfortunately that only lasted a month and a half. Hopefully I will get back into it...eventually... Running is so good for you both physically and mentally. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete